Friday, May 6, 2011

Classical Model Session

So I was at my first-ever costumed model session at SCAD today, and it was really awesome...even though I was only one of two people to show up.  It also reminded me of how badly I need to start doing observational drawings again...

The model was wearing a toga with a colored sash, a circlet of fake leaves, and had a plastic sword and a long trumpet as props.


This was the first pose the model did, and the only one he held for longer than five or ten minutes.  The other guy in the room requested a Dionysus-esque reclining pose (hence the scribbled title up there), which required the model stand to be pushed over to a wall so the model had something to lean on.  Which turned out to be a really great decision, since being up against the wall with such a strong light source created a lot of really amazing cast shadows.  Since he was only going to be in the pose for twenty minutes, I spent my time focusing on the drapery and shadows, filled in with a black marker and a gray brush pen.


This was the first of the short poses.  Once again, the cast shadow was just fantastic, though the figure was drawn too close to the edge of the paper for me to fit in the whole shadow.


So the room the session took place in is also a classroom, so there were a lot of sculpted planar analysis head models hanging up on the walls.  There was one hanging up behind him, so the model jokingly offered to pose like he was cutting its head off, but the other artist got really into it and requested this specific pose.  I think compositionally this one's my favorite, with the pose and the placement of the shadow and the absolutely perfect placement of the giant circular window right behind him.  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me, but the other artist let me use his, and hopefully he'll email the photo to me, because I'd love to do a bigger finished piece off of this.


And there were a couple other poses and sketches, but this is pretty much everything that's worth showing.  Since each pose went by so quickly, I focused a lot more on gesture and drapery than on things like proportions, so a lot of the others look pretty hideous.  But like I said, it was a lot of fun, and it's a shame that SCAD-Atlanta doesn't hold costumed model sessions more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment